Repairs And Rehabs
Habitat for Humanity of Worcester County completes critical repairs and rehabs for existing Worcester County homeowners who are otherwise unable
to complete the work themselves or obtain a conventional loan to do so. We participate in the national Habitat exterior repair program, A Brush With Kindness,
and in a limited capacity, we will complete interior critical repair work. Each family must be approved during the application process, and
the project itself must be approved by a Scope of Work which determines the scale of the project, Habitat's capacity to complete the
work, and the homeowner's ability to pay for the work needed. Habitat may enlist the assistance of a third-party funder such as the USDA for
financing options for critical repairs. In very limited circumstances, options may include a combination of loans and grants.
The Brush With Kindness Program is an exterior repair program and work can include painting, gutters, siding,
porch and stair repair, etc.
Habitat Worcester accepts applications quarterly for this program, beginning January 1 – January 31, April 1 – April 30, July 1 – July 31, and October 1 – October 31. When applying, please make sure the request for repairs fall within the parameters of the program. Funds are limited for this program and at
times may be unavailable. Prospective applicants will be informed when they send initial inquiry via email during each funding round, if funds
First step to apply:
During application rounds: January 1 – January 31, April 1 – April 30, July 1 – July 31, and October 1 – October 31, and if you
have read the below guidelines and feel you meet the qualifications, you may send an inquiry email to:
Families@habitatworcester.org with “Critical Repair” as the subject. Briefly outline the need
for repairs and times you are available for an initial phone call and a Family Selection Committee member will be in touch. Please note, we
are unable to accommodate requests that are sent outside of application periods.
The general guidelines for acceptance are as follows:
- Must Demonstrate a Need – recent hardship has changed financial circumstances, cannot pay for or obtain a traditional loan
for the work, is physically unable to perform the work on one’s own, health crisis, etc.
- Willingness to Partner – Agree to perform “sweat equity” hours, additional terms as defined throughout the process
- Ability to Pay for Repairs – The cost for repairs is paid back to Habitat Worcester or a third party funder such as the USDA.
Families must earn between 30% - 80% of the AMI for Worcester County (as defined by HUD) to qualify.
- Must Pass Credit and Background Checks – including but not limited to a minimum credit score, criminal, sexual and terrorist
background checks; there must not be any liens or judgments against the applicant or co-applicant
- Application Fee: $30 to help cover the costs incurred by the affiliate
- Must be a US Citizen or Resident and Worcester County, MD resident for at least one year.
- Must own the home and provide proof of current homeowner’s insurance.
Additional Resources outside of Habitat for Homeowner-Occupied Repairs:
Worcester County’s Housing Rehabilitation Program